32-bit floating point audio

Forums X2Pro5 32-bit floating point audio

• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by James Carrick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    dcc
    Participant

Does X2pro 5 support 32-bit floating point audio?

Simon Fearn
      Keymaster

Hi,

We have had to temporatily remove support for 32 bit floating point audio as we found an issue with ProTools when it tries to open an AAF that contains floating point audio.

This has been logged by Avid and we are waiting for them to produce a fix for the issue.

Support will be added back into X2Pro5 as soon as we have a confirmed fix from Avid.

Thanks,

Simon

yonis
        Participant

Is there a workaround or a build we can access?
          I need to create AAF from a FCP and the project has mostly 32-bit floating bit clips, we need the AAF for Cubase, but all 32-bit clips are empty while the other formats are transferred fine, It doesn’t make sense that you disable support for 32-bit floating point because of Protools, we don’t even use Protools in our workflow.

James Carrick
          Keymaster

Dear Yonis,

In the current release 5.0.33, if we detect 32bit floating point, we will pop up a message to say that we will need to convert this to 32bit linear, if you then accept, that is what we do. So you do get the 32 bit audio in ProTools but it has been converted from floating point to linear which the current version of ProTools is happy with. If you don’t accept then we just send it as 32bit Floating point, which the current version of ProTools will get upset with.

Yours Sincerely

James.

yonis
            Participant

Dear James,
              Thank for the clarification, however I don’t get option to accept or not, all I get is “Ok” button. How do I “not accept” the conversion?

I have Version 5.0.34 (60)

Attachments:
              You must be logged in to view attached files.
              James Carrick
              Keymaster

Dear Yanis,

Apologies, yes that is my mistake, it only advises you that it is converting it to linear.

Yours sincerely

James.

yonis
                Participant

It would really help us if you give the option to keep 32bit float when needed.
                  AAF is universal format used in many DAWs other than Protools.

James Carrick
                  Keymaster

Hi Yanis,

X2Pro5 was built primarily to create an AAF that is compatible with ProTools, there are considerable differences in how other DAW’s implement AAF. When ProTools resolve the issue with going pop when it see’s 32 bit float in an AAF then we will not convert the audio, but leave it as 32 bit float.

Which other DAW are you thinking of using, as AAF is not entirely a buttoned down specification, for example there are inconsistencies between Avid MC implementation and what ProTools expects to see. In effect we have to create a specific type of AAF to be compatible with ProTools.

Yours Sincerely

James.

yonis
                    Participant

We use Nuendo and Cubase, X2Pro works really well with them, but when it converts the 32 bit float it messes things up. currently we have a huge project and all audio is recorded in 32 bit float. so our whole workflow falling apart!

James Carrick
                      Keymaster

Hi Yonis,

I had thought of supplying you with an older version where the 32bit float to linear was not implemented, however it was so many versions ago that that option is not really viable.

We will look at whether we can create a build where you can switch off the 32bit float to linear.

Will let you know soonest.

Yours sincerely

James.

yonis
                        Participant

Thanks, I appreciate that

James Carrick
                          Keymaster

Dear Yonis,

We will create a special build for you, will let you know when complete.

Yours Sincerely

James.

yonis
                            Participant

Thank you James,
                              Any progress so far?

James Carrick
                              Keymaster

Hi Yonis,

Apologies, the last build failed in testing, I will talk to the developers today.

Yours Sincerely

James.

James Carrick
                                Keymaster

Hi Yonis,

Hopefully you have received a link to a new version for you.

Yours Sincerely

James.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Scroll to top